You know what? It has been over a year since I took that sewing class. It has been over a year since I started this blog. I am so psyched about what I can do and about what I see others doing!!
Part of that is Spring Top Week by Made by Rae. Rae's Ruffled Top was a new entry last year on Sew Mama Sew when I had first started sewing. I soooo wanted to try it, but I didn't have the confidence to start sewing for myself until August. Even then, I didn't do it often. It is just so much easier to sew for kids: less fabric, faster results, a real need for those growing kids. Finally, I started sewing for myself about two months ago and after a few successes, I so wanted to take part in Rae's Top Week. It is like coming full circle.
I have tried for a month to figure out what top I should make. I wear t-shirts. I mean, I ONLY wear t-shirts. I only wanted to make a shirt if it was wearable. I only have two non-t-shirt shirts that I like to wear. I thought about trying to replicate one of those (the one that is NOT a button down shirt), but let's face it, that is a bit intimidating in itself even after my latest success with Sophia's dress. Then I thought about how that shirt was similar to the Ruffled Top. Even though, it is probably "so last year" (must be said with a snotty teenager voice), I thought it worth doing. So, I jumped up Saturday and started measuring and sewing. I am pretty pleased with the outcome. I especially appreciated the pockets that will keep little toys and tissues for the kids!
Saturday, April 24, 2010
So, did I tell you about that crazy shopping spree at JoAnn's Fabric a month or so ago?
Well, let's just say I am not allowed back and honestly, I should not need to go except for detail items like buttons. I also have several items from my closet in the sewing room just waiting to be repurposed. One such item was a floor length jean skirt. I had finally chopped it up for use in my second quilt (no, the first quilt is not complete. The class has 2 more weeks to go. After that I plan on being a speed demon!) The skirt had a nice waist area that formed a triangle in front and back that I preserved for use in a skirt for the girls. I added the waist to some of the fabric I had bought during my spree and brought home thinking, "What in the world am I going to make with this?" It ended up looking like this for Amelia...
I like it lots. I also got to try out a peasant blouse/dress tutorial that my sewing circle friends informed me of. I had been looking for one for a while. You can find it and lots of other cool stuff at indietutes. It is amazing to me that my friends always find new stuff on the web. I feel like I spend soooooo much time surfing that I should have found it all by now, but apparently not. We should just have a surfing circle so that we can see all the cool stuff that each one of us finds.
I then tackled a replica of one of Sophia's Old Navy dresses that she had last summer. It is just too small now. I still need to add some details (pockets, embellishment on the top yoke) and get her to wear it, but other than that it is finished. I am pretty happy with it, although I think I need to work on the attachment at the bottom of the yoke. I bet there is a "way" to do it, but I don't know of it. I just forced it to work.
The cool thing about the dress and A's skirt is that I used elastic just in the back. I had been wanting to try this and it seems to have worked fine on both items. It helps give the outfits a less homemade look without having to deal with those pesky zippers and button plackets.
I might be off to work on a shirt for me. I so wanted to take part in Made by Rae's Top Week, but I only have 5 more days to get the shirt done and I don't even know what shirt I want to make. Yikes! Off to sew!