Wednesday, July 22, 2009

My First Sewing Circle

I wish that I would have gotten a picture of us all hard at work, but alas, we were so hard at work that we didn't think to take a picture of ourselves. Here is a picture of the finished product though.


The circle consisted of several moms from my mommies group: Jodi, our host and teacher, Casey, Dayna, and Melissa. We each picked out our own fabric and then made the dress according to some measurements that Jodi found on the Internet and has adapted during her last few dresses.

This little Winnie-the-Pooh dress is the first for Amelia. I made it a size 12 months, approximately. It is about 16 in. from chest to hem and 34 in. around. I tried to trim the width so that it would not swallow Amelia, but we will have to wait and see if it worked. This dress is for when she can walk, since it would be a bit hard to crawl in.

With that in mind, Amelia is trying hard to be an early walker. She continues to pull up on her crib and playpen. Here she is this morning:


She can now do this with just one hand and it doesn't seem to take as much effort. I need to lower the playpen to its lowest point, but she is so cute peeking over the top!

Back to the sewing circle...It all came about because Jodi had sewn several dresses to donate to a garage sale to benefit Iva (http://www.saveiva.org/home.shtml), Melissa's sister-in-law. We all want to help raise money for Iva's cancer treatment, so my second dress from last night will be donated. I hope that we get some other things made so that a "handmade products" link can be added to Iva's donations page. This is still just in the "we should..." phase, so we will have to wait and see. If you would like to donate before then, please do. Currently, as well as donating, you can purchase pictures by Dayna (http://daynalintonphotography.zenfolio.com/saveiva) with 100% of the proceeds going to help Iva.

I think it is wonderful when you can do something that is fun and still help people. There seems to be a lot of that in the handmade community. I wish I had discovered this long ago. Just image what I could have done in Europe with no job AND no kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment