Friday, November 20, 2009

Finished, but distracted.

I have finished several projects lately, but have failed to blog about them because I have been distracted.  By what, you may ask.  By books.  I get that way sometimes.  What way?  Obsessed.  That way.  I get on reading kicks and except for the absolute musts (like feeding the kids, sewing circle meetings, speaking at least a couple of sentences to the husband) I do nothing but read.  What has trapped me so, you may ask.  I am ashamed to admit it (would love to say Rushdie or Mailer), but the Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood series from Charlaine Harris.  I really enjoyed them and once I got started I could not stop even though a couple were not that engrossing. 

I think I have an obsession with completion.  I had all eight.  My husband had been so nice and picked them up on his last trip to Germany.  So, even the books that I didn't love like #2 Untot in Dallas (Living Dead in Dallas) propelled me forward and I was just as excited even perhaps more excited to finish and move on to the next one.  Weird, huh?  Oh well, I am done now and if I can show some self control until next year, I will wait until Book 9 comes out in German.  It keeps my vocabulary up to read in German and my conscience about not being productive at bay. 

During this book obsession period, I had put off reading my book club book, Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger. When I finally finished with the Sookie Stackhouse books, I had to take a little break from reading and interact with the family (so they would not forget what my face looks like) and finish some sewing projects. I made three of the t-shirt dresses similar to the Halloween dress that I made for Sophia.  I made one out of a tunic t-shirt allowing me to just put one long ruffle on it. 


Then I made the girls matching Christmas dresses with a gingerbread GIRL (Sophia would like me to stress that) theme.  Amelia has not tried hers on yet, but I bet it is going to be...super cute! 


Finally, with a little help from the hubby with the letters, I made this outfit for Amelia.  I started out using a pattern for the pants but then decided they needed a little ruffle on the end.  I did not do the best job since those tiny ruffles are tough, but it still looks...super cute.


So, after a weekend full of sewing and family fun I had one week to read the Symmetry book.  I felt like I was in college again and I had to get ready for a test or something.  It was funny feeling as if I had to get done.  Our book club is not that serious, but I like completing things, as I said before.  Three days later and two days early, I finished the book.  I am looking forward to the meeting tonight so that I can talk with others about what I thought about the book.

These last few weeks have been my first reading kick since Amelia was born.  I had one after Sophia was born that centered around Georgette Heyer.  If you are a Jane Austen fan, then you might appreciate Ms. Heyer as well.  And this brings me to my latest discovery (brought to me by my friend Julie), Goodreads.  I can not truly vouch for the awesomeness of this site yet since I have only played with it a bit, but so far I like it. 

What I like most though are the monthly newsletters with info about two new books.  The first newsletter that I received had info about Niffenegger's Symmetry and Nick Horby's new book Juliet, Naked. Both books that I am/would be extremely interested in reading.  This newsletter made me realize that I am lacking in information about what is being released and what is being talked about.  BS (Before Sophia) I listened to NPR.  I bought Lattes and walked leisurely through Barnes and Nobles.  Remember those days when the train in the kids section was NOT a stop on your Barnes and Nobles tour?  Anyway, I am hoping that Goodreads and my friends on Goodreads will help me find more books that strike a passion in me.  This will lead to, hopefully, fewer reading kicks, but more goodreads.

Here's to hobbies!  May they keep us young and entertained.  May they inspire and excite!   

2 comments:

  1. Very cute outfit and dresses! You are very talented. :) I have been getting obsessed with reading lately, too. I think getting the kindle and finding goodreads kicked it into gear. I'm enjoying it, though... especially since I get to have great conversations with you and everyone else in book club afterwards. :)

    ReplyDelete