Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Spring Cleaning?

Anyone? Anyone?  (You have to use your imagination and think of the teacher in Ferris Bueller.  My writing would be much funnier for you if you could hear the voices in my head.  I swear.)  I have never, at least that I remember, been subject to the spring cleaning frenzy that others claim to feel.  I hardly ever have an urge to clean out closets or disturb things that are neatly packed away.  Outta sight, outta mind is totally my motto.  However, during this Holiday season I have felt an urge.  I feel a need to make my home homier, to de-clutter before I begin to increase the clutter by decorating for Christmas.  I suspect that the de-cluttering is being spurred on by a very inquisitive 1 year old who has made our floors walking hazards.  You know those movie scenes where the dad (Steve Martin, let's say) falls on the skateboard or steps on a jack.  Well, that is our house but we have hair clips and baby spoons instead of the toys.

My sewing has gone along with this sense of calm and cozy nesting.  I have been on a rice bag binge and today started a baking soda sachet one. 


They make me feel so warm and domesticated.    The two rice bags were made with a few modifications using V and Co's tutorial.  I must say that I do need a foot warmer when the temps here drop down to 50F at night, but I made these a little longer and a little thinner (15" x 5") with the idea of a neck warmer in mind.  I have been having neck/shoulder aches and thought others might also.  The one on the left is for Sophia's Mother's-Day-Out teacher.  Who better to give one to than someone that has to pick-up, play with, and care for 13 3 year olds all day?  Her favorite color is white so I thought this cute material with the white hearts was perfect.

The one on the right is for my dad even though the hubby says that men won't use them.  I tried to make it look manly by using one of E's old shirts.  I think the button on the front and not having to do the extra ironing and sewing to make the flaps was a true eureka moment.  I also added my grumbeere tags to both of the bags.  I made these tags a while back using this tutorial from Patchwork Pottery.  I have been a little shy about using them, but thought they looked liked they belonged on these. 



My only concern is the instructions.  The tutorial says to heat the rice for 2 min. but in my microwave that makes the bag both pipin' hot and wet.  I have dialed it back to 1.5 min. but still think it is a bit too warm.  I  will stick with 1 min. in the future.  No, I do not plan on stealing my dad's.  I made three rice bags and only need to finish a cover for mine.  I think I will make it exactly like the one above though.  E is right: even using his shirt, it is still super cute.  Manly, but super cute!

The other pouches in the picture are an attempt to make my babies room less smelly.  If you happen to be a fan of Sew Mama Sew like I am, you might have already seen these cute smell zappers.  They are part of the Homemade Holidays series that SMS did during the month of November.  If you aren't yet a fan, check it out.  These sachets are from the tutorial from Fly through our Window.  I am a bit scared that they won't work since I used just normal baking soda and not the scented one.  However, I must actually be an optimist because I made two so that I could give the second one to a friend who is going to have her fifth child (loony!!!) in January.  I used that super cute fabric that I bought for Amelia's banner.  I always buy more than I need and this has really paid off.  I have made a banner, pants and now sachets.  I still have a bit more.  Yay!



My only concern with the tutorial and my first two efforts is the placement of the loop.  I think it should be sewn into the front side so that the weight of the baking soda wouldn't make the front side hang lower than the back one exposing some backside of the fabric.  Picky, I know, but something to consider if you make some for yourself!

And that is the end of my Home Sweet Home story.  I still wonder why others get this feeling in spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment